- This event has passed.
Bacon and Mielie (Corn) Bread
November 17, 2014 - November 17, 2020
Courtesy of simply-delicious-food.com
Makes 1 loaf
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 hr, 15 mins
About 1/2 lb bacon, diced
2.5 cups all purpose (cake) flour
2tsp baking powder
4 large eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup milk
1 tin whole corn kernels (drained)
1/2 tin cream style sweetcorn
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 340°f and grease a standard size loaf tin.
- Fry the chopped bacon in a very hot pan until slightly crisp. Drain off any excess fat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat together the eggs, butter and milk and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in the corn and bacon and pour into the prepared loaf tin. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the loaf and place into the oven.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes until the loaf is golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the loaf is browning too fast, turn the heat down.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down for 5 minutes before removing from the tray.