Makes 4 servings
Total Time: 20 mins
8 oz penne or macaroni pasta
8 oz frozen peas
4 thick cut slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I use fat-free Greek)
dash of hot sauce
4 oz cheddar, shredded
4 oz fontina (or other melt-friendly cheese; not more cheddar)
- In a medium saute pan, cook the bacon to a crisp and then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions, until al dente.
- Add the peas to the pasta water in the last minute of cooking.
- Reserve 1 cup pasta water before draining the pasta and peas.
- Return the pasta and peas to pot.
- Add 1/4 cup pasta water (it must be hot), the yogurt, a few dashes of hot sauce, and 1/3 of the grated cheese and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Stir in remaining cheese, one small handful at a time to prevent clumping.
- Add additional pasta water as necessary to thin and melt the cheese sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon, mix well, and serve.